What is the New Sweden Colony?
New Sweden Colony was established in 1638 as the first permanent European settlement in the Delaware Valley. It brought innovation and productive trade relations to the fledgling New World. Founded primarily by Swedish and Finnish settlers, the new colony expanded as a multicultural establishment. The Swedish ship Kalmar Nyckel, dropped anchor at "The Rocks" on the shores of the river that the settlers named after their Queen Christina. Radiating from the original Fort Christina in present-day Wilmington, Delaware, the colonists formed Swedish settlements as far north as the Schuylkill River in Pennsylvania and in Swedesboro and several other communities in New Jersey.
King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia of Sweden and Speaker of the Parliament of Finland, Mr. Eero Heinäluoma and his wife, Ms Satu Siitonen-Heinäluoma, visited Wilmington on May 11, 2013 in honor of the Jubilee 375th Anniversary Celebration. And since then the celebration of New Sweden has continued to this day.